Know where to go when you're in Hong Kong for Webconf.asia. We have written a more extensive guide about Hong Kong on Dropbox Paper.
- Hong Kong has British plugs.
- HK has plenty of banks & ATM’s. So no need to get any cash beforehand.
- 100 HKD = 11.5 EURO = 12.75 USD.
- The internet is not censored in Hong Kong.
- HK is a safe city.
- You don’t have to tip in restaurants, taxi drivers, hotels etc.
- Daily mean in November is 23 degrees, with a high temperature of 26 °C and a 20 °C low, and 65% humidity. More on Wikipedia
- Hong Kong not China: although Hong Kong is part of China as a country (1 country two systems), Hong Kong doesn’t like to be seen as a part of China.
- In Hong Kong Cantonese is spoken, where in on the mainland it's mostly Mandarin. Most people speak some English.
From the airport
Travelling into town with the airport express is recommended. Klook has the best deal on airport express tickets, for a 129HKD roundtrip.
You can also take a taxi into town for approx 300HKD, or a bus for approx. 60 HKD.
- The MTR (metro) is working flawless and fast. You can buy separate tickets on every station or use your Octopus card.
- Trams work well for short distances, use your Octopus or pay 2.60 HKD in coins, no change.
- Taxis are an excellent option too since they are affordable. Most drivers speak English, and they all go by the meter. They only take cash.
- Hong Kong has Uber too.
Finding the way
Google maps and Citymapper both work really well.
You can get sim cards at every phone shop in town, they are cheap and good. The venue won’t provide any Wifi, so get some extra data if you want to be online these days.
Foursquare (app) has a lot of recommendations liked by Westerners, whereas OpenRice is a more local Hong Kong restaurant website with every single one restaurant listed.
Things to doTripadvisor has a list which is pretty accurate.
The touristy and fast way up to the Peak is with the peak tram. Before you go, check how busy it is by typing ‘peak tram hong kong’ into Google.
If it's very busy, take bus 15 to the top, or a taxi.
Hong Kong is great to hike. It will be hot, make sure you bring enough water.
If you want tips on hotel or anywhing else, just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org